11 Feb Job vacancy: Researcher ‘Caribbean Studies’
Title of position
Researcher Caribbean Studies
The Koninklijk Instituut voor Taal-, Land- en Volkenkunde (KITLV) / The Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies is a research institute for the interdisciplinary study of Southeast Asia and the Caribbean, with a focus on Indonesia and the ‘Dutch’ Caribbean. We are looking for a talented, hardworking and experienced researcher in Caribbean Studies. You will conduct creative research with regular dissemination of your results through appropriate scholarly outlets and are able to apply for external project funding from national and international funding bodies. We expect you to make a relevant contribution to the public debate on Caribbean parts of the Kingdom of the Netherlands and the relations within the Kingdom, and to represent the field to external audiences and in the media.
• PhD in the humanities and/or social sciences
• Expertise in comparative Caribbean studies
• Meaningful track record of relevant peer-reviewed publications and preferably also acquisition of research funding
• Research experience in the Caribbean, preferably also in the Caribbean parts of the Kingdom of the Netherlands or the willingness to engage with this field in the short term
• A solid command of the languages of the area of research (Dutch, English and Papiamentu); alternatively, you should be willing to acquire these linguistic skills within one year.
Minimum number of hours a week
Maximum number of hours a week
Terms/conditions of employment
Appointment will be according to the terms of the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO Nederlandse Universiteiten). We offer a full-time position for one year with the possibility of conversion to a permanent position thereafter. The function is validated in the University Function Ordening system (UFO) under the profile “Onderzoeker (researcher)”. The salary will be set, depending on education and work experience, between € 3,637 and € 4,978 per month, based on fulltime (38 hours) employment (salary scale: 11). KNAW offers an attractive benefits package.
KITLV is committed to diversity, inclusiveness, and equal opportunities.
You may contact prof. dr. Rosemarijn Hoefte (ln.vl1556203122tik@e1556203122tfoh1556203122) for more information.
Information about the procedure
Interviews are scheduled for late March and April either in Leiden or via skype for applicants living outside the Netherlands.
Where to send the application
Applications should be in English, and be submitted to ln.vl1556203122tik@s1556203122noita1556203122cilpp1556203122a1556203122. Please ensure that you include in a single PDF document named ‘FAMILY NAME – Given name – vacancy number (AT4135) and in this order:
• cover letter including a description of your intended research
• 2 writing samples
• 2 letters of reference
Closing date for procedure
The deadline for submitting applications is 10 March 2019.