11 Mar Job vacancy: Postdoc Comparative Caribbean Studies
Closing Date: 1 May 2016
Postdoc Comparative Caribbean Studies KITLV/Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies
KITLV searches for an ambitious, multilingual, multidisciplinary postdoctoral researcher in Caribbean Studies. We are looking for a postdoctoral fellow who:
- has conducted research on the Caribbean ( including the Guianas);
- has completed a PhD thesis in the humanities or social sciences;
- has published articles in peer reviewed international journals;
- speaks several of the languages of the Caribbean
- will conduct interdisciplinary, comparative research on the Caribbean;
- preferably has an affinity with new tools and research methods in the digital humanities or social sciences;
- is expected to prepare a project proposal which will be submitted to an external funding agency such as the European Science Foundation or NWO (http://www.nwo.nl/en.);
- will write a monograph or articles to be submitted to international peer reviewed journals
We offer a one-year postdoctoral position starting from September 2016, which can be extended with one more year, a dynamic research environment, an excellent library on campus, and good research facilities.
The candidate will:
- Hold a recent PhD in either the social sciences or humanities from an internationally recognised university;
- Have excellent written and spoken English but preferably one or more languages spoken in the Caribbean;
Applications should contain:
- A motivation letter;
- A short (2-page) research proposal;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Contact details for three academic referees.
Leiden, the Netherlands
Minimum hours per week
Maximum hours per week
38 hrs (1.0 fte)
Terms of employment
The appointment will be for one year with a a possible extension for one more year. The salary will be in scale 10 (min. €2,532 and max. €3,997 gross per month on a full time basis) under the Collective Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO-Nederlandse Universiteiten; http://www.vsnu.nl/en_GB/cao-universiteiten.html); 8% holiday payment and a 8,3% year-end bonus apply. We offer an extensive package of fringe benefits.
KITLV/Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies aims to be a world-class research institute for the study of Southeast Asia and the Caribbean, with a focus on Indonesia and the ‘Dutch’ Caribbean, in an interdisciplinary and comparative perspective. Benefitting from the unrivalled collections offered on campus by Leiden University, KITLV researchers explore (dis)continuities between the (pre)colonial and postcolonial period, and articulate their research agendas empirically and theoretically in order to advance wider debates on the meandering paths of globalization. KITLV engages with the academic community across the world, as well as with (inter)national governmental organizations, NGOs, the media, and the interested general public. KITLV (http://www.kitlv.nl/) is an institute of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW).
We plan to interview in May, on site or via Skype. Enquiries Prof. dr Gert Oostindie (ln.vl1547823392tik@e1547823392idnit1547823392soo1547823392) or Dr. Rosemarijn Hoefte (ln.vl1547823392tik@e1547823392tfeoh1547823392)
Please mail applications to:
Dr. Rosemarijn Hoefte (ln.vl1547823392tik@e1547823392tfoh1547823392)