What do concepts of ‘de/coloniality’ and ‘postcolonial’ mean for current critical scholarship? During this two-day workshop, organized by the KITLV and Leiden University, we will explore why and how this question matters to scholars today. Together with two internationally renowned keynote speakers; dr. Priyamvada Gopal and prof. dr. Walter Mignolo, and several early career and senior scholars, we aim to reflect upon and deepen critical awareness of our past and present academic positions and practices in relation to the call to decolonize academia that has recently intensified inside and outside of academic institutes worldwide.
The workshop will consist of two interconnected parts divided over two days.
The programme consists of semi-closed panel sessions and public discussions (keynote lectures + roundtable I).
Registration is now open for 1) public discussions and 2) semi-closed sessions (under certain conditions) of the workshop. Please find the instructions below.
1. Public discussions: Keynotes + Roundtable I – REGISTRATION CLOSED
When: Monday 8 October | 14:15-17:30 (+ drinks until 18:30).
Where: Academy Building (Klein Auditorium), Rapenburg 73, Leiden.
Please note: Registration for the public part will be processed in chronological order, subject to available seats.
2. Semi-closed workshop sessions: Panels + Roundtable II – REGISTRATION CLOSED
When: Monday 8 October | 09:00-13:00 + Tuesday 9 October | 09:00-17:30
Where: Gravensteen, Pieterskerkhof 6, Leiden
– Registration for the semi-closed sessions will be processed in order of receipt subject to availability, provided that brief motivations are included.
– We only accept registrations of people who plan to attend all semi-closed workshop sessions divided over two days. We do not accept registrations for only 1 day or 1 session.
– Coffee and tea will be provided during the breaks. Lunch (2x) will NOT be included.
– If you also want to attend the public part of the workshop, you will need to register separately via the button above.
The two keynote lectures will be video recorded. Soon after the workshop these recordings will be made available online via a link on the KITLV website.