23 Dec Vacancy: Internship KITLV Palm Oil Conflicts
KITLV is looking for new interns to support the research project ‘Palm Oil Conflicts: Access to Justice in Indonesia’. This project engages in a first-ever study of general patterns and outcomes of conflicts related to palm oil expansion. Using mixed methods approach, this project collaborates closely with local NGO’s to document 220 conflict cases. We will use this dataset to identify cases and causes of successful conflict resolution on the basis of which policy recommendations will be made (see here).
The intern will support this project by:
1. Assist research on the ground in Riau, West Kalimantan, West Sumatra and Central Kalimantan (one intern per province) in documenting conflict cases, particularly by collecting newspaper articles.
2. Code newspaper articles: using our digital newspaper archive, the aim is to build a protest event catalogue by analyzing and coding palm oil-related protest events through digital archives of regional newspaper articles.
3. Assist in cleaning and analyzing the resulting dataset of conflict cases.
4. Assist to produce reports to disseminate the findings of the project.
Speaks and reads Indonesian. MA student, preferably in Social Sciences or a related field.
The internship will take place at KITLV from approx. 15 februari to 1 juli for three to five days per week (credits may be earned in consultation with the student’s university).
• The opportunity to gain working experience at an internationally renowned research institute;
• The opportunity to expand your academic network and to present your results at a research meeting;
• A remuneration of EUR 180 gross per month (based on three days per week) and, if needed, reimbursement of travel expenses.
For more information, please contact Ward Berenschot: .
Please send an application, outlining your motivation, and a short writing sample (e.g. an essay written in the course of your studies) to Ward Berenschot () before January 15, 2020.